Thursday, May 11, 2006

An ADDICT with a disorder.

The Oxford English dictionary defines addiction as physically dependent on a substance or devoted to an interest or activity. Hence I am an addict, a TV addict. I can't get enough of the "idiot box"(my mom loves that name and has no qualms about yelling it into my ears 24 hours of the day) i could watch the tube all day and never get bored. I can shamelessly proclaim that the television has ruined most bits of my life as well and effectively continues to do so, now i wonder to myself once a person confesses he/she is an addict doesnn't that mean they are capable of some help whatsoever, whether it starts from within or with help from others. well people have definitely tried to rid me of my addiction but it hasn't gone.. i myself have tried to turn away from it but it just doesn't work.. then few hours back while i was pondering over this thought i had an "aha" moment , now i'm not sure how really important this moment is but atleast it answered my question about my tv addiction.

The Oxford English dictionary defines Bulimia as a disorder marked by bouts of overeating followed by fasting or vomiting. now people get this disorder when they are desperately trying to lose weight.. i on the other hand suffer from bulimia of a different sort. TV bulimia- and that right there was the answer to my addiction. and this is how the whole process goes-
watch tv for long hours
enjoy it every moment of it
switch it of thinking i ve seen enough for the next few hours
guilt comes over me that ive not done other useful work and that i saw so much tv
more guilt
grieving at the amount of time i ve wasted
guilt
guilt
and did i mention guilt
then the last stage go and watch some more tv and not do anything constructive-this action would symbolize throwing up in the actual bulimia

so there you have it this is exactly what my problem is..is there any cure for this or am i eternally captured by the wrath of those TV rays?

3 comments:

Books inc said...

Oy. Thought you blogged over at LJ. But coolness ma :D

As for TV addiction. LOL> I'm internet addicted and am damned if I wanna do anything about it ;P Too much pleasure :)

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... now we know why you wanted to get back home early after each exam... meghe!

Surviving said...

come home and enjoy my second passion sleep!!:-)